cGMP Implementation Deadline – September 2017
An important portion of FSMA to be implemented by animal feed mills is the application of cGMP’s consistent with the type of feed being manufactured.
Some things you should know:
- The word ‘current’ indicates implementation of rules consistent with practices in place at the time of manufacture – meaning this is a living program requiring routine review and updating
- When feed is manufactured under conditions less than these conditions it can be deemed adulterated by FDA
- cGMPs are intended to provide a preventive approach to feed manufacture
- Licensed medicated feed manufacture is subject to additional, more stringent cGMPs through sections 225.1 – 225.115 of the Code of Federal Regulations Title 21.
Each feed mill will have a unique program of cGMPs but all should be developed to ensure consistent control and documentation of the following:
- Housekeeping requirements
- Personnel training
- Inventory control
- Equipment cleaning
- Preventative maintenance
- Product labeling
- Product trace and recall
If you’d like assistance in compiling your current Good Manufacturing Practices and a review of their adherence to FSMA requirements we’d be happy to help.